Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: the disapearing oil were does it go

  1. #11
    Inactive Member green95gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2000
    Posts
    129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Gentlemen,

    The addition of a supercharger or tubo charger to an engine will almost always result in the excessive oil comsumption. I think there are at least a couple of reasons for this.
    First, blowers require running a very rich mixture to protect the engine from detonation, this probably results in oil being diluted by the extra fuel and getting burned off. I also think that the increased cylinder pressures somehow contribute to the oil being recirculated through the intake and burned off. Finally, the guys with F/I will generally drive harder and faster. This is always a factor in excessive oil comsumption. Now, if you add the use of synthetic oils or other very thin, low viscosity lubricants, you have a perfect recipe for using upo oil.
    Having said all that, there are some engines that are made much more close to perfection than others, they have better sealing, etc. These will use less oil, conversely there are engines made looser with less seal between cylinder rings and wall, etc. Those will use more oil.
    Add all these factors and you can easily see where 1/4 of oil used between changes can be quite normal in some cases.

    ------------------
    '96 GSR, JRSC 6 psi, Greddy Sp, Apex 4-2-1, Home made CAI w/K&N, Ground controls coil overs, Eibach, AGX, DC short shifter, more stuff on the way....

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A quart every 1500 miles is A LOT... but not for REDLINE oil. You see, it is so very thin that it gets by the rings even in the tightest of motors... and it is easier to move through the OE ventilation system.
    The thicker the oil, the less your motor will consume... as long as your motor is functioning properly.

    I didn't mean to be unclear.



    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Zip,

    Honda doesn't mention it because they don't run REDLINE !!!


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  4. #14
    Inactive Member jchcinmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 1999
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Hey I'm still experiencing a "burning oil" smell coming from my vents into the cabin. Under ther hood, the concentrate odor seems like it's coming from underneath the manifold. But I can't find any leaks! What is it? Help!?

    ------------------
    Romans 5:1,John 3:16
    96 red GSR w/mods..like a JRSC

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oil seperator box O-ring leaking and oil burning up on the cat/header?

    Greg

  6. #16
    Inactive Member SSGSRSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2000
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Holden...I agree!

    That was one of my problems....because the oil seperater box is right under the blower and the pcv valve is bent( 90 degrees). However, the other plastic piece is not, causing the rubber hose to crimp, building pressure and allowing oil to escape. I never had oil drips or anything. I was going through a quart every two weeks ( 500 miles). When I got under the car, there was burnt oil on the header(brace), and the cat.

    I bought all new seals, a new valve, new lines, and the other plastic piece. The problem has decreased significantly, however, I am losing about a quart every 1000 miles now. I am using 5w 30 oil. I guess that is what was stated the oil disappears when driven hard......I cant help it!

    Jason

  7. #17
    Inactive Member waveoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 1999
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's the source of my oil leak. It was only minor for about two months but now it's a MAJOR leak. A new o-ring is going in tomorrow and it better work! > frown

    ------------------
    Fred G.
    '97 Civic EX supercharged http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/4059
    Beech 1900D driver...2,558 shp, 10,000+ ft./lbs. tq., top speed 331 mph

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jchcinmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 1999
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I replaced my oil separater box already & replaced my oil pan gasket. Stink smell still there. I will check my hoses on top of the separater box again. This situation sucks because I have this obnoxious smell in my cabin with my fresh air coming in through the vents. I don't want to put the air on "re-circulate" cuz the windows will fog up when it rains.

    ------------------
    Romans 5:1,John 3:16
    96 red GSR w/mods..like a JRSC

  9. #19
    Inactive Member jpcaudill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In a way I'm happy that I'm reading this... I'm having the exact same problem with my turbo. But, you know what's interesting: With AMSOil, I didn't smell anything; the minute I switched to Mobil1 it stunk worse than a 80year old womans you know what.. Both 5w30. Hmm?!!??!?!

    So, is there any freakin way to fix it?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •